Saturday, April 26

Ready for an Adventure

I'm ready to begin an exciting adventure!  It's been a very long time since I have written in a blog--close to ten years to be exact, so I hope that you will bear with me!  ^_^

My name is Erica and I am very fascinated by the language, culture, and entertainment of South Korea.

"Boys Over Flowers"

It began about three years ago when I watched my first Korean drama "Boys over Flowers" and from then on I was hooked.  As I started to watch more dramas, I began obsessing over Korean music...especially Busker Busker!  The worst thing about watching dramas and listening to music in Korean is that I didn't understand anything that they were saying (thankfully the dramas were subtitled).  That then led me into learning how to read and write Hangul (which is really easy).  After teaching myself basic Korean, I realized that I needed to know more!

Busker Busker

Now I could have easily gone back to a University in the states to study the Korean language, but I wanted to fully immerse myself in the culture and language.  As a teacher myself, I get to see students immersed in Spanish (kindergartners to be exact).  It's amazing how quickly they pick up the language.  That really started to get me thinking--what better way to learn Korean than to go to South Korea!

I have never been out of the country before, so I was a little nervous just to get plane tickets and go.  So instead, I searched bloggers on the web who are currently expats or study abroad students and came across Sogang University's Summer Immersion Program.  Before I knew it, I had filled out the application to attend and got my acceptance letter!  I don't think I have ever been so excited in my life!  ^_^

Now that I am two months away from leaving behind my life in the states for five weeks, I wanted to begin a new blog to share my experiences with not only my friends and family, but with others out there who are interested in going to Korea as well.  Without all of the helpful information I have received from bloggers, this would not be as simple of a process.  Hopefully my experiences can help others as well.

If you have any questions or have any helpful advice, I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment