Sunday, May 25

Cultural Events

So I was having a rough day on Friday, but getting a new notice from Sogang University in my inbox completely changed that!  In that important notice, they outlined all of the deadlines (which I have completed!) and they explained bit of the time schedule for KIP.  I have been a little curious about my cultural courses and what activities I will get to spend some time doing/seeing.  Now I don't need to wonder so much--they have filled me in!




On July 11th, I will get to go to a Korean baseball game-- Doosan Bears v. Hanwha Eagles.  I really enjoy sports, so this is exciting.  I will note that this was listed under the MANDATORY cultural activity--like they need to force me to go to a baseball game!  ^_^  I am not sure who to root for, though!


Hanok

Then, I will be attending a special lecture on 'Hanok: Traditional Korean House' July 25th.  I think I'm most intrigued by this event.  I find the openness of these traditional homes very interesting.  I absolutely love them and would trade my home in an instant for a Hanok.  The floor board heating system that South Koreans use also makes them more appealing.

MISO: Baebijang-jean

The last event that I will be attending as part of my cultural class is a performance: 'MISO: Baebijang-jean'.  This will be pretty neat because it takes place in the Josean Dynasty.  This will take place on August 1st.  

Along with these mandatory events, I can choose to go to two other optional events on the weekends.  I WILL BE ATTENDING THEM BOTH!  ^_^  The first is the Boryeong Mud Festival.  I was already planning on attending this, so this is even better.  It's very hard for me to explain, but you can click here to find out more information.
VT_Shots_05
Boryong Mud Festival
The other optional event is a trek through Seoul.  We will be going to 길상사 Kilgangsa (Temple), 서울 성곽길 Seoul Fortress Trails, 삼청동 Samcheong-dong, and 북촌 Bukchon while on the trek.

DSC_0184
길상사 Kilgangsa (Temple)
This is a Buddhist Temple in the Northern part of Seoul
Hiking Seoul Fortress
서울 성곽길 Seoul Fortress Trails
This fortress was first built in 1396 and is 2 hours from the North Korean border.


삼청동 Samcheong-dong
This area is known for his village of Hanoks and neat shops.
Bukchon's View
북촌 Bukchon
Traditional and contemporary society coexist here.
So I will leave you with these events for now!  I still haven't had a chance to explain the weekend field trip I will be going on with the KIP, but I promise to do that during the next post.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment