Monday, July 28

Day 21

Today was definitely the most educational of all of my days here.  I started class out understanding most of everything my lanuage teachers said.  There were still a few words that I didn't know, but I felt much more confident.  I also got my test back from last week and I did really well!  I was so excited!  They take our tests back or I'd show you a picture of what our tests look like.  After language class, my classmates took the subway to culture class, but I went back to dinner and then off to study in my dorm.  If I chose to go to culture class, I would not make it back to meet with Chang Bok Kim.

I chose to stay on campus to eat lunch and I was craving spaghetti, so I chose to try a Korean spaghetti.  It wasn't too bad, but it was really sweet.


After lunch, I studied a little bit and then went off to meet with Chang Bok Kim.  He was really sweet and such a good host.  He had arranged a meeting with the principal of a local elementary/kindergarten school.  I absolutely loved it!  There were only a few children at the school because they are on break as well.  I was also able to meet a few of the teachers there and the English teacher that worked there.  

My first observation was that the kindergarten rooms were set up for students to have a chance to play.  They also did not have desks all over the room--there was one long desk and the students seemed to mostly work on the floor.



Library

Gym



The kitchen/eating area

The kitchen/eating area

The cup/bowl sanitizing station

Girls and boys bathroom for kindergarten

The special education room

The special education room

Library

The kindergarten cubbies outside of the classroom

A play area

The kindergarten playground on the roof

The kindergarten playground on the roof

A first grade classroom

First grade desks

Gym

Gym

Outdoor track/soccer field

Garden

Outdoor track/soccer field

Outdoor track/soccer field


Elementary playground











Elementary playground

This school turns 100 years old this year!






The thing I noticed also is that they have a school/community family garden and there were so many vegetables and fruits growing!  It was awesome!  The principal seemed very proud of it! 

The kindergarten classrooms have about 25 students in each, and the school has close to 500 students total.  It is a kindergarten-6th grade school.  The school also is traditional in the sense that the students and teachers take off their shoes before entering the classroom.  I would love to do this in my classroom!

After that, we drove over to the restaurant which was really nice!  It was in a traditional Korean building and food was delicious!  I did try most everything except the kimchi and octopus (it was really spicy).  Our menu consisted of small portions of several things and then a desert at the end.  It was such a nice dinner!  













Our menu








After dinner, he drove me back to the dorm and we said our farewells.  I hope that he visits the United States sometime soon so that I can treat him to dinner!  It was one of the nicest things someone (who I have never met) has done for me.  I absoluately love Korea and all of the wonderful people that I have met.  



No comments:

Post a Comment